Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Three Bears













We went to Montana for my brothers wedding (pictures to come) and stayed around after to play at Glacier National Park. One word- BEARS!

I didn’t really expect to see any, because that seems to be there big marketing logo. We camped at a remote lake in the park and within a few hours a giant grizzly bear walked right thru our campsite as we were making dinner. It was very intense. He looked over at us but didn’t stop his graceful stride. I grabbed Owen and slowly walked toward the car, just in case! I didn’t have my camera handy of course. All our heads were on a swivel after that and needless to say I didn’t sleep too well that night. I felt extremely vulnerable; my false sense of safety was gone. The park ranger said it was extremely rare to see a grizzly, that they must be coming down from the high country for the fall. I consider us lucky to have seen him, now that we are home in our safe, strong walls.

We also saw 2 other black bears (from the safety of our car), a baby one on the side of a hill and a large black bear off the side of the road. We were lucky to see mountain goats and rams up very close. We saw tons of deer and 3 foxes one night. Not to mention the mountains. They were very powerful. I have often wonder what western Washington looked like before the cities and suburbs, now I think it must have looked something like Montana. I pray this sacred place always remains wild and raw and dangerous.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok...that is super freaky about the bear waltzing through your campsite. I would have packed up and headed for the nearest hotel! You are brave!
Becky

Anonymous said...

Ack! I remember having a conversation with Erin where we tried to remember what it is you do when you see a grizzly vs. a black bear. You know what, I would have freaked out for both!

Sounds like a great trip. Hope to see you on the "momentary refuge" blog soon!

Lisa...(Erin's friend!) :)