Thursday, August 21, 2008

Sweet

I really like using natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup and fruit juice concentrate. I had seen one called agave nectar at the store but didn’t know much about it. Then I learned agave nectar has one of the lowest glycymic index numbers for natural sweeteners. I was diabetic my last pregnancy and my dad is diabetic too, so I am always looking for low glucose solutions. I got some and tried it. I LOVE IT. Yum, it is similar to honey but more mellow and sweeter. It is easier to pour, won’t get hard & I don’t have to use much at all. I have and will use it on:

Pancakes/ French toast
In smoothies
In hot cocoa or steamed milk
In a peanut butter sandwich
To sweeten yogurt
On cereal
In salad dressings

I haven’t tried to bake with it yet, but I will. It is a newer product so there are limited recipes out there for it. Let me know if you try it.

2 comments:

LuckyRedHen said...

Agave nectar has been around for centuries but just recently has been getting some press on its low-glycemic traits. I wish there were more recipes, but I've seen/read/heard there's a conversion rate for substituting. Of course, I don't have it at my finger tips and have to keep you hanging because we're on our way out the door :|

ashley said...

We use agave all the time...especially love it in tea.
You can use it in any recipe you use honey or pure maple syrup in. I have lots of muffin and cookie recipes that use pure maple or honey and you can substitute 1:1.
I don't know where you got yours, but Trader Joes's carries it now, though only in small bottles which don't last us long. Whole Foods sells much larger quantitites. Probably much more than you wanted to hear, but agave is good stuff!