When I get frustrated being a parents I will often grab a new parenting book at the library for one or two new ideas. I am loving my latest discovery called Playful Parenting by Lawrence Cohen. His approach is to use humor & games to lighten up a tense situation, (and we have had our share here lately.)When kids are acting out, they are really looking for some attention. Kids love it when you play dumb, fall down, be super silly and exaggerated. Really play on their level. I have already used many of his ideas to turn a certain 3 year old from yelling at me to belly laughing on the floor in seconds.
Perrie loves it when I put on my witch hat from Halloween and pretend she a princess locked in the tower and must do all the chores. Owen loves it when we pretend a doll or stuffed animal is him and talk to it. We were having problems with name calling and I said “Well, whatever you do, don’t call me my secret name, Rice Crispy Princess. And especially don’t tell the birds.” Owen went from being mad to giggling and yelling my secret name out the window. The author has a whole chapter on the importance of wrestling. I am still reading it, but just loving all his advice. Do you have any fun games you play with your kids?
1 comment:
Great ideas! You're fun.
My kids like it when I talk in funny accents. Or pretend to be someone other than MOM! like a bird, or the royal toothbrusher, anyone but mean old mom.
Post a Comment