Monday, January 14, 2008

Wonderful World of Color

Making meals for a family of 4 can get pretty mundane sometimes, so I came up with a plan to mix things up. I call it Color appreciation week. Here is the skinny, each day of the week you get to only eat one color of food for that day.

WHITE MONDAY:
Rice, potatoes, milk, cauliflower, halibut, sweet potatoes, some cheese and yogurts, tapioca pudding, tofu, marshmallows, white chocolate.

BROWN TUESDAY:
Nuts, peanut butter, mushrooms, pancakes, cereal, brown rice, chocolate, beans, beef, chocolate milk, chocolate pancakes-muffins & cookies

RED WEDNESDAY:
Strawberries, apples, kidney beans, tomato tortillas, pasta sauce and red pasta, salsa, red rice, red peppers and tomatoes. (tomato juice could dye many items)

ORANGE THURSDAY:
Oranges, carrots, salmon, yams, shrimp, mangos, pumpkin-(this could help colorize many things too like pumpkin pancakes or pumpkin muffins)

GREEN FRIDAY:
Green tortillas, green salsa, spinach, broccoli, peas, PESTO, cucumbers, guacamole, lima beans, edamame, celery, pickles, green olives, green pasta (spinach juice could dye some items too if needed)

YELLOW SATURDAY:
Eggs, squash, bananas, vanilla pudding, corn, butter, cheese, lemons, cornbread, cornbread pancakes, peperoncini,

I think we can pull this off. However I am very excited about GREEN day and might just become a greenatarian eating only green foods the rest of my life. Do you think I would turn green? I know someone who ate carrot juice a lot and they started to turn orange. What am I missing and what would be your favorite color day? I will let you know how it goes.


P.S. I know what you are thinking, that I have too much time on my hands right? Well I will have you know that when I worked 40hrs a week I planned spirit week at my office just like in high school and actually got a lot to participate. Ha! I just wanna have some fun. Ok maybe this gray wet weather is getting to me a bit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a great mom. You are always trying to do fun things for your family and I am sure they all appreciate it so much. Your kids sure are lucky to have the mom that they do :-)

Robert A Vollrath said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Nelsons said...

For Red Day you definitely missed beets. I used to hate beets but Lyn has come up with some amazing recipes and now they are one of my favorite veggies. There are also orange beets for Orange Day. Even orange flavored!
Say hi to Dave for me.